The Fiber Club is open from now until June 28
How to spin better
If you’re a spinner, you probably know how easy it is to find yourself in a rut, spinning the same kinds of fibers in the same way, over and over. Spinning your default yarn can be relaxing, and even comforting as you zone out to a Netflix marathon, but it’s definitely not the best way to raise your spinning game.
The best way is to try new techniques, and to spin fibers that you’ve never spun before. If you do this regularly (and with a bit of guidance), every aspect of your yarns will improve.
A great way to do this is through what in-the-know spinners call breed study: systematically spinning the wool of different breeds of sheep, in order not only to learn about their differences, but, even more important, in order to become a better spinner.
There is an astounding range of breeds of sheep, and they grow an equally astounding range of wools. And each of them is best spun a little differently. Breed study makes you a better spinner by giving your brain and your hands new materials to work with and new problems to solve.
Traditionally, undertaking a breed study has involved buying raw fleece, washing it, and preparing it with hand cards, wool combs, or even a drum carder. In short, it’s been an involved and expensive process.
But what if you could start a breed study right away, and skip all of those steps, by getting beautifully-prepared, unusual wools and hints about how to spin them, delivered right to your door?
You can, with the Sheepspot Fiber Club.
You may be thinking, “I’ve tried fiber clubs in the past, and I’ve still got some of that fiber. I just couldn’t get excited about spinning it.” Maybe it was dyed in a colorway you just couldn’t get behind. Maybe you had no idea how to spin it.
You may even feel a little guilty about having spent the money.
I understand. It’s happened to me, too. But it wasn’t us. It was them.
Sheepspot’s club is different. It’s built around choices. First, you’ll choose your basic membership, which comes in a dyed or naked (undyed) edition. If you choose the dyed edition, you'll get to choose among four colorways (two multicolored, two semisolids that coordinate with the multis) for every shipment. You can also choose:
- whether to join for six months or the full year
- whether to pay all at once (and save 10%) or in monthly installments
- whether to get one bump of fiber or two
What do you choose?
Your basic membership: dyed or undyed? Six months or twelve?
Shipments will begin in late July and arrive every other month after that. Join for the full year and receive six shipments (July, September, November, January, March, and May). Join for six months and receive three shipments (July, September, and November). Each shipment will contain:
- 100 grams of delicious, breed-specific spinning fiber, undyed or in your choice of four new colorways (two multi-colored, two semi-solid) that are exclusive to the club for six months
- detailed sampling notes that will help you get started spinning each fiber
- a worksheet to help you evaluate the fiber and plan your yarn
The dyed edition
Prices for the dyed edition of the basic membership (in USD) will be:
- six months: one payment of $168 or six payments of $31
- twelve months: one payment of $336 or twelve payments of $31
The naked edition
Prices for the naked edition of the basic membership (in USD) will be:
- six months: one payment of $135 or six payments of $25
- twelve months: one payment of $270 or six payment of $25
Want extra fiber?
If you like to spin for larger projects, you can opt to get 100 grams of extra fiber per shipment. If you opt for dyed fiber for your basic membership, your extra fiber will be dyed as well, and you can choose among any of that month’s colorways for the second bump.
If you opt for naked fiber in your basic membership, your extra fiber will also be naked.
Prices for dyed extra fiber (in USD) are as follows:
- six months: one payment of $61 or six payments of $11
- twelve months: one payment of $122 or twelve payments of $11
Prices for naked extra fiber (in USD) are as follows:
- six months: one payment of $34 or six payments of $6
- twelve months: one payment of $68 or twelve payments of $6
If you choose to join the club for the full year, you’ll be enrolled in Breed School, which sends your club membership into breed study hyperdrive by giving you access both to additional breed information, and to fellow travelers on your fiber journey! In the past, I charged $109 for Breed School. This year, though, I’m offering it completely free to everyone who enrolls for the full year.
Breed School includes:
- in every shipment, an information sheet regarding the breed and its history, and, when possible, additional information about the specific flock that grew the wool
- a private Facebook group just for club members, with monthly contests and challenges, and video guides to spinning each fiber
- exclusive access to regular Facebook Live chats with Sasha in which you can get individualized help spinning your club fiber
What members say
Is the club for you?
The Fiber Club is for you if . . .
- you’re already comfortable with your wheel or spindle, and can spin a continuous thread
- you’re eager to learn more about sheep breeds and their wools
- you’re committed to expanding the range of yarns you can make
- you’re enthusiastic about exploring new-to-you fibers
- you’re willing to experiment with knitting, crocheting, or weaving projects that aren't always next-to-skin soft
- you’re serious about improving your spinning in the next six to twelve months
The Fiber Club probably isn't for you, if . . .
- you’re still struggling to use your wheel or spindle, and can’t (yet!) spin a continuous thread
- you prefer to spin fibers other than wool, or to continue spinning easily-accessible wools like Merino and BFL
- you've already done lots of breed study
- you’re satisfied with the range of yarns you can make right now
- you want every yarn you make to be next-to-skin-soft
- you love to prepare your own fiber
Are you ready to become a better, more knowledgeable, and confident spinner? Just click below to get a notification when membership opens on June 21.